If you’re hungry for a tummy pleasing, spicy and healthy dish that’s easy to prepare with very little clean up, you can’t go wrong with White chicken chili.
Not only can you make this dish quickly because it requires very few ingredients, but you’ll also impress your friends and family with your culinary skills because it’s so yummy!
In about 30 minutes you can have a warm, satisfying and nutritious homemade meal on the table. Tender fresh chicken and flavorful beans add lots of healthy protein while a combination of herbs and spices makes it super tasty.
Served with a variety of toppings, this lighter twist on a south-of-the-border favorite is sure to please even your pickiest eaters. And it’s so hardy it fills you up without filling you out!
Grab a pen and paper to make your shopping list, because here’s what you’ll need.
1-2 Bone-in or boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 cans of great northern white beans
2 cups chicken broth (store bought or homemade)
1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 4 ounce can of diced green chilies
1 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (add more if you dare)
1 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
1. Place chicken breast in a cooking pot with just enough water to cover. Add a little salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. (For quicker chili, cook the chicken the night before and save the broth to use in your chili too.)
2. Meanwhile, in a large cooking pot, saute onions in butter or olive oil on medium heat until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Dice garlic and add to pot. Sauté for 1 minute (don’t burn).
4. Stir in green chilis.
5. Mix in cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper.
6. Add 2 cups chicken broth
7. Drain, rinse and add beans to pot. Let simmer.
8. Remove cooked chicken from pot and shred with hands or fork. Add to pot.
9. Heat ingredients through. (If you prefer a thicker chili add a little flour or cornstarch.)
10. Ladle into a deep bowl or mug. Serve with your favorite corn chips and toppings.
Top with shredded pepper jack cheese, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, salsa, fresh chopped parsley, cilantro or green onions.
Serve with lime corn chips, jalapeno crackers or Cuban bread.
You can enjoy this tasty chili immediately after it’s prepared or let the ingredients marinate overnight for more intense flavor. It also can be frozen in freezer bags or containers for up to one month. Just thaw, heat and serve.